The printer plays a very important role in our day-to-day life. Whether you want to print a document or scan it, you need a printer to do that. There are numerous printer brands available globally serving customers worldwide. Among all the existing printer brands, HP is considered to be the most reliable and efficient brand for quality printing solutions. HP offers a vast range of printer models with multiple features and functions. Though the HP printers are highly efficient, issues like HP printers won’t scan may occur and hamper the user experience. Are you unable to scan documents using the HP printer? Keep reading!
In this post, we are sharing some easy troubleshooting guidelines to fix HP printers won’t scan problem. So, let’s proceed further and find the simple steps to fix the HP scanner not working problem.
Why my HP printers won’t scan?
There are many possible reasons due to which the HP printers won’t scan. There could be connectivity issues or something wrong with your printer. The outdated printer software can also be the reason that the scan function is not working on your device. If the user has disabled the scanning feature on their printer, it will not work. To fix the problem, you can follow the simple troubleshooting guidelines mentioned below.
Troubleshoot HP printers won’t scan: Guidelines To Follow
Check the connection
If you want to scan documents, make sure that your device is powered on. Also, check and make sure that your internet is working fine. If you are using a USB printer, you need to make sure that every cable is properly connected. And, if you have connected the device to Wi-Fi, check your internet it must be working fine. In case you have a VPN and connection on your device, you need to disable the VPN as it may stop the scanning from functioning.
Reinstall HP printer software
The HP printers won’t scan if the software is outdated. To fix the problem, follow the steps below:
- Open the run box on your computer.
- Type “appwiz. CPL” and hit the Ok button.
- From the ” programs and features” section, connect the printer software.
- Click to uninstall it.
- After the successful un-installation, restart your system.
- In the next step, you are supposed to eliminate the printer from the ” printers and scanners” section.
- Press the “Windows + Q” key together.
- In the search bar, type “printers”.
- Now, click “printers and scanners”.
- Select the printer and remove it from your device. For this, proceed with onscreen instructions.
- Now, click “printers” to go to the search box, type the model number, and at last hit the “Submit” button.
- The software & driver page will show up. Click the “Change” option to choose the 32 or 62 bit Windows version.
- Click to install the latest version of software & drivers on your device.
- Proceed with the on-screen guidelines and complete the process.
So, this is how you can fix the HP printers won’t scan problems on your device with free installation of HP printer software. Hopefully, your problem will be resolved now. But, if this is not the case, you can proceed with the next troubleshooting guidelines.
Run system file checker scan
The corrupted system files may also cause printers won’t scan problems. To fix the issue, you can run the system checker. Here is the step by step instructions to do so:
- Using your keyboard, press the Windows + X key together.
- Now, click on the Command prompt to launch it
- Here, type ” DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth”. After this, click the “return” button before you begin the SFC scan.
- Now, write “SFC/ scan now” in the Command prompt.
- Hit the enter button.
- The scanning process may take a few minutes. Once completed, restart your system.
Check the printer compatibility
If you have recently installed the latest firmware version for your device and it is not working, then there could be compatibility issues with your HP printer. To troubleshoot the problem, you need to check and make sure that your device is compatible with the latest operating system. If there are compatibility issues, you need to uninstall the latest version from your device.
Run HP print and scan troubleshooter
If none of the above steps help you to fix HP printers won’t scan problems, you can use the HP print and scan troubleshooter. It is an official support application introduced by HP to help users and troubleshoot common printer-related issues. The software will check your printer, and fix the problem of not letting you scan the documents. Here are the step by step instructions to run the HP print and scan troubleshooter:
- On your device download the HP print and scan doctor by visiting HP’s official website.
- Now, double click on ” HPPSdr.exe”.
- Hit the ” Run” button.
- Go to the ” software” Windows.
- Hit the “Start” button.
- Choose the ” scanning” option.
The HP print and scan troubleshooter will now scan for the problem and fix it in a couple of minutes by guiding you to follow further steps.
Disable windows defender firewall
Sometimes Firewall blocks your device from scanning the documents. Thus, it is recommended to disable it to continue with the scanning process. Here are the step by step instructions to follow:
- Go to the “Search” bar.
- Type “Firewall”.
- Go to the ” control panel”.
- Find the ” windows defender firewall” and turn it off.
We hope that these simple steps will help you to fix the HP printers won’t scan problem on your device. All the troubleshooting steps are simple and easy to follow. However, if you are still unable to scan the documents, you must contact the HP printer experts for professional help in 123.hp.com/setup. The experts can provide you better assistance in resolving the issue in real-time. Also, the professionals will share some helpful tips with you to make your printing experience better. So contact the professionals today, and find the most reliable solution to your problem.