How to troubleshoot the HP printer paper jam?
HP printers for the most prominent choice of users when it comes to printing problems like quality documents. However, sometimes “HP printer paper jam” occurs and creates trouble for the users. While taking the printout of important documents, your printer must not get jammed. But, if this happens, you must know how to fix the problem and continue with your work. In this guide, we are going to provide you with brief details on troubleshooting steps that can help you to fix this HP printer paper jam” error on your device. Before you proceed with the troubleshooting steps, it is important for you to know the possible causes of printer jam errors. If you are experiencing a printer jam problem, it can be because of an overloaded printer tray, dirty print rollers, improper size of paper etc. Use this guide and find out how you can get rid of the problem.
HP Printer Paper Jam Error: Possible Reasons
- Overloaded printer tray: Your printer tray has a certain limit to load the printing paper, and if you cross that limit, you may end up facing the printer jam error.
- Improper positioning of paper: The incorrect positioning of paper is another common reason due to which users encounter paper jam errors on their devices.
- Incorrect size of paper: Wrong size and poor quality of the paper can also be the reason that your device is stuck while printing the documents. So make sure that you use the correct paper to print the documents as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Dust and Debris: Dust particles can also cause the paper jam error. Thus, it is recommended to keep your device clean for a quality printing experience.
So, these are the most common reasons due to which you may face printer paper jam errors on your HP device. Now, that you know the possible reasons, let’s proceed next and find how you can get rid of the problem:
Troubleshooting Steps To Fix HP Printer Paper Jam Error
Check the front cover for paper Jam
The first and foremost thing you need to do for troubleshooting the HP printer paper jam error is to check the front cover. If you find any paper bits jammed there, remove them carefully to get rid of the issue.
Clean the input array
You need to check the input tray and clean the jammed paper to troubleshooting the problem. Here are the steps to follow:
- Press the power button on your HP printer.
- When your device is turned on disconnect the power cord from it.
- Locate the printer input trays and pull out the paper gently from them.
- Check the printer input tray from inside and remove if there is any paper bit present.
- Return the device to its normal position.
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on the device.
- Use your printer to print the documents.
Clean the output tray
If the above steps are not helping you to fix the paper jam in HP printer, you need to clean the output tray as well. Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn on your HP printer and disconnect the power cord.
- Gently pull the jammed paper out from the output tray.
- Get your device to its normal position and start printing the documents.
Clean the paper feed roller
The paper feed roller is another common spot where you may find the jammed paper:
- Turn off your HP printer and disconnect the power cord.
- Open the input tray, and look for the paper pick roller.
- You need to clean the roller thoroughly using a damp cloth. Make sure that you properly remove the dirt and dust build-up.
- Place the rollers back to their normal position after you dry them properly.
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on your device.
Clean the printer rollers
If you are still getting the HP printer paper jam error on your device, you need to clean the printer rollers.
- From your printer input tray, remove all the papers.
- Hit the ” down arrow”.
- Go to the ” settings”, and hit the ok button.
- Again, hit the ” down arrow”. Click “Tools” and hit the ok button.
- Choose ” clean paper feed”, and hit the ok button.
- Wait and let the cleaning process get completed.
Print the test page to make sure that everything is working fine.
Reset HP printer
Sometimes, resetting the HP printer also helps to troubleshoot HP printer paper jam errors. Here is how you can reset your HP printer:
- Turn on your printing device and disconnect the power cord.
- Make sure that you unplug the cord from the electric outlet.
- Now, wait for at least one minute.
- Plugin the power cord again and reconnect it to your device.
- Turn on the printer and print the test page to make sure that everything is working fine.
Last but not least,
Check the entire printer for paper jam error
If you have tried all the above steps and still getting HP printer paper jam errors, follow these steps:
- On your device, you need to check the entire device to make sure that everything is fine.
- On your HP printer, click the “Resume” button.
- If you are still getting the paper jam error proceed with the next step.
- Open the printer rear access door.
- Check the device from inside for the jammed paper
- Check the printer roller and if you find any paper jam there, remove it gently.
- Close the printer rear access door, and hit the resume button.
- Lift the HP printer front cover insect for the jammed paper, if you find any pull that gently out of it.
- Make sure that your HP printer cartridges are working fine.
- Plug out the power cord, and make sure that your printer carriage is moving freely.
- Rotate the printer roller three times upper direction using your fingers. If your printer roller is stuck, you need to check for the jammed paper.
- Full the printer front cover gently, and fill the tray with proper sheets as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Press and hold the resume button, and release it when you see the test page is getting printed.
So, these are some simple guidelines that can help you to troubleshoot the HP printer paper jam errors on your device. If you are still having a problem, we recommend you contact the HP printer support team on 123.hp.com/setup for a piece of expert advice to troubleshoot the issue quickly.